About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Technical Designer facilitates the transition of apparelstyles from design concept and first prototype to a final, production readyprototype. They are responsible for leading fit sessions with the respective designerand cross-functional team by ensuring the technical, functional and physicalfit are appropriately executed to achieve the design aesthetic. TechnicalDesigners identify potential production, quality and costing challenges andmake recommendations. They effectively communicate to business partners and GlobalInternational Sourcing fit intent, balance and construction.
What you'll do
Attending at all milestone meetings
- Attending Trend Funnel to thoroughly understand design’svision and intent for the season.
- Staying connected to your designer’s aesthetic and knowingwhere their inspiration comes from.
Researching direct competitors and aspirational brands
- Participating in quarterly comp shopping to stay abreast ofmarket trends and attend cross-functional shopping trips as planned
- Comprehensive understanding of physical fit; evaluation ofbody size, shape and the relationship of clothing on the target body.
- Recommend fabric silhouette compatibility that ensuresexecution of design intent.
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear directionand consensus of fit intent.
- Support research and documentation of fit, sizing andconstruction at the style/category level for competitive deep-dive fittings.
Ensure size and fit consistency within product categories.
Lead fit session on live model or mannequin.
- Effectively communicate design’s fit intent to vendors for bulkproduction while maintaining corporate standards.
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issuesand make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
- Evaluate garment to ensure global compliance of spec andconstruction.
- Strive for continual improvement that drives product andprocess enhancements.
- Identify and proactively engage supervisor when issues arise.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product andensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team; gatherinformation and update all reports necessary for meeting.
Meet seasonal and Brand deadlines.
- Participate in departmental and cross-functional meetings asappropriate.
- Foster an open communication and team environment with allbusiness partners.
May include international travel up to 2 times per year.
Who you are
- AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent.
- 5-7 years’ experience in the Apparel Industry including patternmaking and construction experience with full knowledge of total production timeline.
- Expertise in fit, patterning making and construction.
- Working knowledge of grading and manufacturing methods.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to multi task.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively influence.
- Strong computer skills – PLM, Illustrator, Photoshop, Gerber, Lectra, Optitex, Microsoft Office Suite
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs