About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Technical Designer- 3D is responsible for initiating theuse of 3D technology, supporting the integration of the digital design processeswithin existing product development and production process. In this role, thesuccessful candidate will identify opportunities to reduce sampling through theuse of 3D, whilst partnering with technical design, ensuring the best possiblefit experience for the Old Navy customer.
What you'll do
- Fit Blocks + Grading: Partner with departmental technicaldesigners by attending fit sessions and reviews to ensure 3D block fit is accuratewith physical fit intent. Clean patterns for 3D drape and grading. Grade 3Dblocks. Consistently monitor and validate fit grading, updating tech designpartners if revisions are required.
- Block Storage and Library: Manage and maintain the blockstorage library and supporting documentation of best practices.
- Brand Avatars: Manage the brand avatar library and accessfor brand and vendors, analyze new avatars for integration as directed bymanager.
- 3D Best Practices and Process: Manage and maintain thevirtual fit protocol and standards for brand. Ensure supporting documentationis accurate and up to date for TD team and vendors. Support and manage calendarfor enhancement updates as directed by manager.
- Support hindsight reporting on 3D process and vendorfeedback. Engaging with GIS updates on vendor performance for 3D as directed bymanager.
- Crowd Sourced Testing (CST): Create 3D silhouette blocksand/or renderings using 3D. Partner Production Strategy, Design and Merchandisingto identify accurate print files, drapes and renderings of all colorways per style.Maintain CST deliverables and calendar for Technical Design.
- 3D Tech Design Support: Act as team liaison partnering with3D providers/partners to integrate program enhancements + establish best practicesas directed by manager. Support Tech Design Team and vendors on 3D process.
- 3D Training: Manage and support Old Navy’s 3D trainingrequirements in line with brand strategy.
- Fabric Library – Manage & maintain the 3D fabric Libraryfor brand. Partner with 3rd parties as required for fabric scanning and troubleshooting.
- Innovation: Identify opportunities for 3D innovation withinthe business, test and research new 3D tools, attending conferences andnetworking events to discover new ways of working.
- Have an elevated sense of style and aesthetic with acontinual pulse on current and relevant market trends and emerging technology.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensureproduct areas are maintained with cross-functional team. Partner with crossfunctional teams to understand touchpoints within the product developmenttimeline.
- Foster an open communication and team environment with all businesspartners, support socializing 3D processes with cross-functional partners andTech Design partners.
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationallyas needed.
Who you are
- Minimum educational level : AA or Certification in ApparelManufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent.
- Minimum experience: 5-7 years’ experience in the ApparelIndustry including patternmaking and construction experience with knowledge of thetotal production timeline.
- Program experience working in 3D and using 3D for garmentdevelopment/ patterns and design.
- Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Comprehensive understanding of physical fit; evaluation ofbody size, shape and the relationship of clothing and fabrics.
- Understanding of different silhouettes e.g. Tight / Loose /Away from Body and how this relates to fit and digital pattern creation.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot, problem solve and tofollow and action against deadlines .
- Ability to lead initiatives and projects.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiplepriorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with abilityto effectively influence.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of – PLM, Illustrator,Photoshop, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong digital computer skills. 2D and 3D. Gerber/ Lectra/Acumark. 3D platforms – Optitex/ Browzwear/ Clo
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs