About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Buyer for Old Navy China is responsible for ensuring that the Global Old Navy vision is brought to life through robust product and inventory strategies that are appropriate for the China market. The Buyer is the expert of their department and channel and is a true business owner who knows their customer and their market inside and out. The Buyer assorts a commercially viable product line and builds sales and inventory plans that drive sales and margin growth. The Buyer is responsible for partnering with the global team to ensure China needs are embedded in the Global Old Navy product strategies.
Core Outputs – Division, Department, Style, CC plans. SAM, IR, Chase, Basics Management. Order Leader, Proficient in Systems & Processes. The Buyer is relentlessly commercial and sensitized to the weekly trends risks and opportunities. The Buyer responds to future seasons with robust actions based on weekly intel to drive and exceed future sales expectations. He/She will perform detailed market intelligence in partnership w/ the local merchant team and is the voice of China within the global ON organization. Always knows his / her numbers and business at the detailed level. Potentially trains & develops Asst. Buyer & Inventory Specialist.
What you'll do
- Develops and builds department & class level plans that support market/division strategy
- Develops and builds pre-season style plans and recommends investment quantities in line with commercial plan and market financial goals
- Manages the reconciliation of class-to-department bottoms-up plans
- Provides information to develop key concepts, key items, promotional strategies and assortments that are commercially viable and provide exciting store experiences in line with the Global Old Navy strategies.
- Understands product trends, historical data and departmental input at category/class level and applies learnings into future product strategies.
- Assorts based on market specific seasonality, sales trends and opportunities while maintaining the Global Old Navy product vision. Ranks styles based on historical and current product performance.
- Understands competitive environment; proactively seeks market knowledge through exposure to competitive retail outlets.
- Develops monthly forecasts of sales and inventory for Basics managed thru demand forecasting and vendor management tools, as required
- Mentor, support and develop Assistant Buyers and Inventory Specialists on the team.
Who you are
- 2-4 years work experience, preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Analytic Skills: Ability to think objectively and interpret meaningful themes from quantitative and qualitative data
- Problem Solving & Decision Quality: Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Collaboration: Able to build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of business partners
- Influencing & Negotiation: Can present ideas and directions that lead others to action
- Presentation Skills: Effective in a variety of presentation settings including one-on-one, small and large groups, and with peers and bosses.
- Financial and Business Acumen: Ability to evaluate financial and business indicators and translate data into actionable information to drive results; proficiency in retail math
- Systems and Tools Acumen: Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and have aptitude to learn technical applications quickly
- Process Management: Able to create and organize work and processes to get things done in the most efficient manner
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrate strong listening, written and oral communication skills
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Indexfor the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs