About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
The Senior Manager / Director, Sustainable Product Innovation is responsible for the exploration, identification, assessment, and acquisition of innovative and environmentally sustainable technologies. The ideal candidate will utilize creativity, industry knowledge, networks, tradeshows, publications and research to find applicable technologies that might benefit Gap Inc.’s product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, intellectual property rights, licensing and profitability. The Senior Manager/ Director, Sustainable Product Innovation will also establish a long-term sustainable product innovation strategy that will enhance Gap Inc.’s corporate performance and longevity. Reporting into the Senior Director, Innovation, this role will work cross-functionally with a highly technical interdisciplinary group of forward-thinking scientists, engineers, designers, sourcing professionals and outside research institutions.
Essential Job Functions:
• Develop and manage sustainable innovation search and assessment process covering timelines, prioritization, budget, investment and goals. Build and share a point of view with key internal stakeholders
• Develop and oversee execution of a sustainable product innovation strategy and roadmap, looking 3+ years out
• Maintain and develop contacts at material mills, technology firms, and design/engineering groups to discover technologies that are beneficial to Gap Inc.
• Structure partnerships and development agreements with key technology partners
• Direct the development process to achieve commercial viability of technology through collaboration with internal departments (e.g. Sustainable Innovation, Gap International Sourcing (GIS), Design, Quality and Global Supply Chain)
• Operationalize new technologies and/or innovations in partnership with Brand Production, GIS and other relevant departments
• Collaborate with vendors to unlock “state of the art” opportunities for sustainable innovation
• Leverage the competitive strategy and position of each brand in order to formulate sustainable innovation search agendas
• Identify opportunities for various forms of Intellectual Property
• Ensure that the Company’s standards for quality, function and environmental impact reduction are met
• Measure and monitor progress against product sustainability strategies, objectives and performance targets
How You’ll do it:
• Prioritize sustainable innovation search initiatives in accordance with enterprise goals
• Constant calibration with internal stakeholders, external vendors/mills and outside research institutions to validate new discoveries
• Inspire creativity and growth across the enterprise
Who you are
• 10+ years’ retail and/or manufacturing experience
• Proven expertise in product sustainability in the apparel / textile industry
• Graduate degree in technical discipline (example: chemistry / textile science) highly preferred
• Excellent communication and influence skills
• Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams and own multiple projects at once
• Strong problem solving skills
• Proven success in ambiguous environments
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Indexfor the second year in a row.