Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Senior Manager of Tech Design executes design aesthetics through consistent fit and construction that aligns with our customer’s needs. Collaborating with cross-functional partners and vendors, the Senior Manager of Tech Design will translate design concepts into specifications for costing and first prototypes by leveraging fit camps and maintaining overall customer fit consistency. The Senior Manager of Tech Design provides direction to direct reports in NY and collaborates with GIS to expand vendor capabilities and troubleshoot fit issues, as needed, and will partner with key vendors to leverage vendor fit empowerment work.
• Ensure overall Customer fit consistency and provide fit approvals when necessary.
• Demonstrate a sound understanding of design, merchandising, and product development priorities.
• Provide divisional leadership of fit sessions, construction approval, and documentation to all business partners to meet guidelines.
• Manage within category the development of tools (patterns, blocks, etc.) to achieve optimal and consistent fit.
• Leverage technical knowledge and leadership support to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach.
• Identify potential production, quality, and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
• Manage the development and maintenance of tech packs throughout the line creation process.
• Communicate cross-functional brand strategies to direct reports in NY and GIS Tech Design teams.
• Provides guidance and recommendations on vendor readiness and fit empowerment.
Who you are
• Degree- AA or Certification in Patternmaking, Apparel Manufacturing, Design, or equivalent
• Technical Design- significant experience with fabric and garment construction and manufacturing processes (minimum of 8-10 years or relevant experience)
• Computer Skills- Pattern programs: ADS, Gerber, Lectra. Additional: PLM, PDM, Adobe Illustrator, Optitex 3D Technology
• Problem Solver- can proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
• Team Leadership- has successfully led teams (direct and dotted line reporting relationships) for a minimum of 2-3 years.
• Collaboration- proven ability to influence and make decisions across geographies in a matrix environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
• Personal Leadership- demonstrated executive presence, presentation, influencing, and collaboration across a leadership team.
• Change Leadership- experience leading with and without authority to influence others and drive decision- making and achieve desired service levels.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.