Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Assistant Merchandiser is responsible for partnering with the Sr. Merchandiser/ Merchandiser in the development of the Merchandise Strategy to meet the commercial needs of the globalegional business. They will Partner with cross function teams in the development of the seasonal merchandise strategy. Initiatives include supporting Sr. Merchandiser/ Merchandiser on assortment strategies, weekly business review and product re-caps, management of assortment tool (PETE), Average Unit Cost Management (AUC), Pricing and Product Architecture, Test and Respond, Market hind-sighting and Sample Management. This position is HQ/NY based and will be part of the Global Divisional Product Merchant Team and partner with Design, Production, Inventory Management and Marketing.
• Assists with the development of the assortments which align to overall department strategy, resulting in increased earnings.
• Partners with Design and Production on product strategies and requirements to ensure customer needs are met, AUC profitability and speed to market.
• Partners with Inventory Management on seasonal investment strategy by market to ensure big ideas and growth drivers are protected.
• Owner of creation and maintenance of assortment tool, season code, size model and time on offer at the style level and capture in the Omni PETE (assortment tool).
• Communicates seasonal strategies in a collaborative way to key cross functional team to ensure innovation and financial success as a focus.
• Responsible to re-cap business to determine successes and opportunities within the business.
• Accountable for the sample process which includes all aspects of Sample Management.
Keep samples organized and up to date for use in merchant presentations
Facilitate sample requests from Business Partners.
Gathers all samples no longer needed and uses appropriate forms for transferring out.
Manages all shipping requests.
Who you are
• Financial Acumen – knowledge of and ability to impact financial outcomes.
• Analytic Thinker – thinks strategically, conceptually and creatively.
• Retail Math – understanding of Retail Math.
• Product Focused – has a passion and point of view regarding product and trends.
• Customer Oriented – can demonstrate a sense of having the customer as a point of focus.
• Team Oriented – experience working in a team environment.
• Dealing with ambiguity - experience working through significant change and transformation.
• Drive Results – can demonstrate driving results
• Detail Oriented – understands the importance of details, priority setting and multi – tasking.
• Collaboration-proven ability to work in an environment where collaboration with cross functional partners is a key focus and speed is crucial.
• Learning Agility – demonstrates an ability to seek new information, ideas, experiences, and is self-awareness.
• Bachelor’s degree in merchandising or related disciple or equivalent trade experience.
• 1.5 years of Merchandising Experience minimum
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.