We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
The Sr. Technical Designer teaches, mentors, and clearly communicates processes, procedures, and technical skills to Tech Designers. They are responsible for facilitating the transition of apparel styles from design concept and first prototype to a final, production ready prototype. Sr. Technical Designers lead fit sessions with the respective designer and cross-functional team by ensuring the technical, functional and physical fit are appropriately executed to achieve the design aesthetic. They identify potential production, quality and costing challenges and make recommendations. Sr. Technical Designers are responsible for effectively communicating to business partners fit intent, balance and construction.
What you'll do
- Have an elevated sense of style and aesthetic with a continual pulse on current and relevant market trends and emerging technology
- Expertise in understanding of physical fit; evaluation of body size, shape and the relationship of clothing on the target body
- Recommend fabric silhouette compatibility that ensures execution of design intent
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent
- Research, analyze and conduct competitive deep-dive fittings providing learnings and recommendations at style/category level on fit, sizing and construction
- Ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories
- Lead fit session on live model or mannequin
- Effectively communicate design’s fit intent to vendors for bulk production while maintaining corporate standards
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity
- Evaluate garment to ensure global compliance of spec and construction
- Strive for continual improvement that drives product and process enhancements
- Identify and proactively engage supervisor and Business Partners when issues arise
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team; gather information and update all reports necessary for meeting
- Meet seasonal and Brand deadlines
- Participate in departmental and cross-functional meetings as appropriate
- Foster an open communication and team environment with all business partners
- Build and develop technical skills of direct report, if applicable
- Hold self and others accountable for work commitments and outcomes
- May include international travel up to 2 times per year
Who you are
Minimum educational level
- AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent
- 5+ years’ experience in the Apparel Industry including patternmaking and construction experience with full knowledge of total production timeline
- 2+ years’ of people management experience
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Mastery in fit and patterning making - including grading and construction manufacturing methods for multiple product types, categories and divisions
- Proven track record of driving results through self and others
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi task
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to interface regularly with senior/executive leadership
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively influence
- Excellent computer skills – PLM, Illustrator, Photoshop, Gerber, Lectra, Optitex, Microsoft Office Suite
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Indexfor the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs