About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
About Gap Inc.’s Global Supply Chain & Product Operations
From cotton to customer, our Global Supply Chain and Product Operations organization is comprised of thousands of employees who source, make, and deliver Gap Inc.’s iconic American style.
Our five brands – Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta and Intermix – retail in more than 90 countries across multiple channels including online, stores, outlet and franchise.
As consumers continue to reinvent the interaction between customer and brand, Gap Inc. is transforming the way we bring product to market to better serve our technology-savvy, product obsessed, value conscious global customer base.
From innovating at the component level with our factory and mill partners to driving new technological capabilities in merchandise and inventory planning, and developing a fast, flexible logistics and fulfillment network, Global Supply Chain and Product Operations is the heartbeat of Gap Inc.’s enterprise-wide evolution.
Our Global Supply Chain is looking to invite driven PhD students to join us in our headquarters offices for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. The ten week Summer Intern Program runs from June 12th through August 18th and is based in our San Francisco headquarters office.
Our Global Supply Chain internship combines work that directly impacts company goals and exposure to different leaders within the organization. You have the unique chance to dive into our company while expanding your knowledge of the retail industry. As an intern, you will attend presentations by senior executives, work on both individual and group projects to drive business initiatives and present to senior management throughout the summer.
You will see right away that we work hard at Gap Inc., but we think it's important to have fun too. As part of the experience, you will have the opportunity to participate in social and networking events outside of the office with your fellow intern group.
Product Operations Advanced Analytics
The Product Operations Advanced Analytics team is focused on driving top line and bottom line benefits for Gap Inc.
The Product Operations Advanced Analytics Team at Gap Inc. is a research team that applies techniques from operations research and machine learning to drive
business benefits for Gap Inc. and its brands.
The team’s focus is creating analytical capabilities to support product operations at Gap Inc.
Areas of expertise include: demand forecasting, inventory replenishment, inventory and supply chain optimization, pricing, product testing, product attributes, flexible inventory and supply chain initiatives.
What you'll do
- Provide quantitative research (Operations Research/Machine Learning), analysis and support for identifying business opportunities/issues and form hypotheses
- Synthesize findings, prepare presentations and assist in presenting findings to all levels of management
- Identify and track the metrics to measure the success of a specific business opportunity
- Participate in the Gap Inc. Summer Internship Program and share insights with the team
Who you are
- PhD degree in progress - 3rd or 4th year PhD student in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering or Management Science required
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and approach new and complex issues
- Analytical & Problem Solving Skills
- Demonstrated track record as an outstanding problem-solver using data and analytics.
- Minimum 4 years of demonstrated analytical, research, data handling, modeling and problem solving skills
- Experience developing and working with inventory optimization and/or forecasting approaches for the retail industry
- Ability to develop creative insights from research and analysis to drive actionable results
- Self Starter and Able to Deal with Ambiguity
- Demonstrated self starter who requires little day to day management after understanding strategy and key milestones/deliverables
- Ability to quickly identify key issues and develop hypotheses
- Able to work with large amounts of data
- Ability to synthesize and disperse information into effective strategies and innovative insights, translating complex ideas into simple, actionable recommendations
- Technical Skills
- Hands-on experience with data analysis, statistical, optimization and simulation packages (SQL, Python, etc.)
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.