About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
Doris and Don Fisher opened the first Gap store in 1969. Today, Gap Inc. is a leading global fashion retailer with six brands (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, Intermix, and Hill City), almost 3,700 stores, and more than 135,000 employees. We are on a journey to be the world’s favorite apparel destination, from value to luxury, by delivering great product to our customers and being the best place to work and shop. Gap Inc.’s Corporate Law Department was named Minority Corporate Counsel Association’s 2018 Western Region Employer of Choice.
Gap Inc. requires a dynamic and experienced employment attorney to join our Global Employment Law team as Counsel. This role is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and technical expertise to Human Resources, management, and other cross-functional stakeholders on a broad range of complex employment matters and employment law trends across North America, including wage and hour issues, contingent workforce matters, employment benefits and compensation programs, leaves of absence and accommodations, as well as other substantive employment law areas. This role has the opportunity to advise on international employment matters commensurate with experience.
What you'll do
- Proactively identifying and assessing potential legal and/or reputational risk in support of business partners both in and outside of the United States, and recommending practical, creative solutions that balance legal risk with business impact.
- Providing subject matter advice and guidance on a variety of employment law matters, such as the development and implementation of employee policies, organizational restructures, leaves of absence and accommodations, pre-employment practices including FCRA compliance and background screening, and other HR practices.
- Monitoring legislation, regulations, case law and government enforcement activities relating to the above substantive legal areas, and providing proactive, strategic advice within the employment law group and to relevant
- Supporting and collaborating with cross-functional business partners on complex legal matters and special projects to drive and sustain employment law compliance and further the long-term interests of the Company.
- Modeling and working with business partners across the company to ensure compliance with Gap Inc.’s Code of Business Conduct.
Who you are
- Juris Doctor and license to practice law in at least one U.S. state or other applicable jurisdiction required.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of employment law and related litigation experience, preferably in a law firm or in-house corporate legal environment.
- International employment law experience preferred.
- Strong, persuasive written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to effectively and concisely communicate to and influence senior-level executives and business leaders
- Proven ability to take ownership of projects and solutions, and drive to successful and timely completion
Must possess the following personal qualities:
- Practical and flexible, and able to prioritize and juggle multiple competing tasks
- Adept at and comfortable with making complex riskeward assessments
- Able to focus on possibilities and not problems
- Effective at resolving differences of opinion through consensus building
- Able to conceptualize and articulate pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions to complex legal and business challenges
- Desire and ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity, respect, ethical conduct, and open-mindedness
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs