About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
Gap Inc. is looking for a UX Designer for our “Stitch” Design System team which delivers web and native iOS atomic elements for product teams across our organization, supporting Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta, Intermix, and Hill City. The team translates brand style guides and UX-defined components to re-usable assets in the form of Sketch libraries and re-usable code then documents it for all subscribers on our internal Design System site.
The Stitch team is seated in a Centralized UX organization, supporting all 6 of our brands, which has been growing rapidly over the past few years. The team is dedicated to E-Commerce, In-Store and Omni-channel experiences which sit on both Web and iOS platforms. In this role you’ll join the team on-site as a dedicated member of the 7-person Stitch team. You'll be an integral part of the organization, as a key partner to all product teams.
What you'll do
- Contribute to scaling a system of components and patterns that will allow Designers and Developers to focus on product-level problems and ship high quality work efficiently and consistently.
- Define visual patterns for our digital experiences across all 6 of our brands on our Web and iOS product platforms.
- Deliver and maintain pixel-perfect Sketch libraries for Designers, and specs for Developers
- Collaborate closely with Designers, Front End Developers, and Product Managers to develop and ship the system.
- Write documentation on how and why components, styles, and patterns should be applied in code and design.
- Articulate decisions to UX Design, Brand Design, Product Management, and to other stakeholders.
- Review designs created by Designers on product teams and provide feedback to bring alignment with components in the system.
- Help Designers identify new components from their designs and document them.
- Ensure components and styles meet W3C accessibility standards.
Who you are
- Care deeply about setting up the team up for success—helping define and evolve the design system to help other designers do their best work is 80% of this job.
- Like to think in systems; you can see how all the parts fit together, and how a small change can propagate throughout the entire ecosystem of applications.
- Like to contribute, maintain, and help in documenting an always-evolving library of components.
- Proactively communicate with other UX Designers to identify components and cross-domain patterns.
- Enjoy partnering with roles across different disciplines, such as Product and Engineering.
- Have a good understanding of how your designs will be implemented and can collaborate with Developers to add it to the system.
- Can anticipate how aspects of the system will be used by Designers, and design for the best default user experience.
- Already have experience contributing to a Design System
- Are ready to evangelize and be a champion for our Design System
- After dropping a design on the artboard, you immediately connect it to a Sketch shared style
- Have a really high bar for design quality and coherence
- Deeply care for the craft and have an impeccable attention for details, while distilling the design components and patterns that will compose the system
- Are a great communicator AND equally great listener – you ask the thoughtful questions, communicate complex concepts to varied teams, intake partner needs and readily share status updates
- Are versed in Accessibility standards and a passionate user advocate
- Can get into the weeds of implementation if necessary
- Are excited to learn new methods and topics and can distill their core concepts
- Minimum of 5 years of professional UX Design experience shipping products while creating, implementing and evolving the underlying design systems
- Expert in Visual Design, Strong in Information Architecture and Interaction Design
- Expert in Sketch and InVision
- Experience working with Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.