Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
Seeking a highly creative and skilled apparel graphic designer with an understanding of and enthusiasm for the Gap brand, specifically the Girls target customer, product and aesthetic. You are able to translate trends into commercially successful product. You have enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and a willingness to push the envelope. You enjoy being part of a talented design team with years of experience creating on-brand best-in-class apparel graphics with a highly developed library of techniques.
What you'll do
- Experience creating apparel graphics with a strongunderstanding of the girls’ apparel market (i.e., knowledge of difference inaesthetic between Toddler Girl and Big Girl very important)
- Execute Apparel Graphic designs based on direction eferences provided by the Director of Graphics
- Update printouts andboards for presentations to leadership, update croquis to assist design team.spec final graphic files to upload to PLM
- Utilize library of in-house embellishments, in partnershipwith internal and external partners
- Partner with the Legal Department to ensure thatgraphics/designs are not trademarked and can be utilized by the Company.
- Produce mechanical art and complex graphic design (logos,illustrations, photographs, tags, labels, etc.) through interpretation ofdesign ideas.
- Stay abreast of trends, with a proactive approach toresearching new techniques and resources in both the apparel graphics market& graphic design.
- Builds consensus with design and merchandising businesspartners towards developing appropriate solutions.
- Acts as a technical resource for the department and providesin depth expert knowledge to graphics employees. Includes creating andmaintaining linesheets and communicating changes to all cross functionalpartners
- Works primarily independently and handles issues of highcomplexity.
- Must respond well to artwork critique and requests forediting work; proactive approach to research into design trends and techniques,
- Must work well with other designers on the team and offersupport whenever and wherever necessary
Who you are
- Apparel graphics experience and an understanding of the apparel market and kids apparel market specifically required
- Thorough knowledge of graphics production (e.g., silk screen color separation; camera ready art, heat transfers, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work accordingly.
- Excellent computer skills (Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator and additional related software). PLM knowledge is helpful
- Strong hand drawing skills and a knowledge of Typography are very important
- Strong creative sense with proven artistic abilities.
- Ability to conduct concept research based on seasonal themes.
- Knowledge of creating Licensed graphics with 3rd Party partnerships helpful
- 2-4 years graphic retail/textile experience.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs