About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer’s spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what’s next.
About the role
As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
What We Do: The Summer Internship Program is an 8 week, paid, robust internship opportunity offered to rising seniors (degree expected 2021).
The Program will begin in San Francisco on June 15th
, 2020. The competitive portfolio-based program provides selected students with a unique and engaging learning experience. Interns work alongside Banana Republic designers who share their knowledge and experience with the design industry’s future leaders.
The program fosters exploration, creativity, development, and teamwork for all those involved.
Lastly, the program is a pipeline for entry-level creative talent at Banana Republic. After successful completion of the program, full-time, entry-level offers may be extended to top candidates.
Details: Roles include Women’s Design, Men’s Design, Banana Republic Factory Stores – Design.
What you'll do
- Assist team in preparation of flats, illustrations, and hand sketches
- Shadow supervisor in concept and raw material meetings
- Attend fittings with manager and will assist in revising sketch and design package as needed
- Help build mood boards and research recent trends for upcoming design seasons
- Participate in orientation and culture trips
- Create a creative project to be critiqued by design executives and undergo a formal evaluation
- Support the overall team in any administrative tasks that may arise
Complete the project and submit, along with your portfolio and resume by March 6th, 2020.
Design a collection for Fall 2020, from inspiration and mood to full collection presentation. Selected students will then have an in-person or video interview with a member of our Talent Acquisition team.
Design a Fall 2020 collection for one of the following categories:
- Banana Republic Men’s
- Banana Republic Women’s
- Design three full looks
- Include key items/key drivers: Iconic pieces that the Banana Republic customer loves. Please build around them, and be able to speak to why they are essential for the group
- Tie into a full a collection, illustrating head to toe outfitting
Keep in mind who the Banana Republic customer is and what they come to us to for. As a global specialty retailer, Banana Republic is focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics. Our customers seek to make the most of every moment. How we do it is just as important as what we do. We value people who are confident, optimistic and curious, because we believe in unleashing creativity and greatness every day.
Research is a vital piece of the internship project – it is important to show an understanding of our brand aesthetic and values, the marketplace, and the relevant translation from inspiration to the product we present to our customer. Please draw inspiration from whatever sources you see fit (runway, street, magazines, architecture, etc.), and be prepared to elaborate upon your inspiration when presenting. Be prepared to show and share your inspiration in the way of tears, sketchbooks, graphics, clothing, magazines, books, etc. Include inspiration/mood images, color, and fabric/trims.
As part of your research, highlight key areas of interest in color, silhouette, materials and details for the season, and integrate these elements into the collection’s direction.
DESIGN PROCESS IN DETAIL:
- Research and identify your category, and then begin designing a collection for Banana Republic Fall 2020.
- Extensive concept research, fabric story development, and developed design ideas (i.e. sketches, 3D drapes, etc.) for your category/project. Sketches should be fully colored and rendered.
A mood board including color palette direction, graphics, print and pattern, and fabric direction.
Should include hand sketches and illustrator flats
Who you are
- Must be a rising senior (degree expected 2021)
- 3.0 GPA in core studio classes
- Must be familiar with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Must be eligible to work in the US (please check with student services before applying)
- Project must be completed and accompany application
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.