We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
Founded in 1999 in the picturesque town of Petaluma, CA, Athleta is a performance & lifestyle apparel brand dedicated to female empowerment & inclusivity, sustainability, technical beauty & innovation.
We’ve grown a bit since then, but our DNA remains the same. Our HQ is now in downtown San Francisco, and we’ve opened over 180 stores across the U.S., with more on the way.
Are you interested in helping us innovate and make an impact? Join us. We’re hiring our first ever Design Apprentices into the brand.
Our Design team is the backbone of Athleta. We’ve built an amazing group - comprised of Designers, Fabric R&D, Trend & Concept, Color, Print, and more from across the globe.
What you'll do
- Assist in design, development and execution of your category
- Gather and identify relevant trend, sport and macro lifestyle information that impacts performance apparel
- Assist in preparation for meetings by setting up all needed design tools and setting up visuals
- Participate in product fittings and make necessary updates to all product information and tech packs
- Assist in the preparation of thumbnail sketches for product line selection and technical line drawings for use in final presentations and technical specification packages
- Create first proto sample package to facilitate initial sampling, update bill of materials throughout the process.
- Communicate with vendors daily on all design details, complete and update design bill of materials to meet key deadline date seasonally
- With Designers and Merchandisers evaluate all first proto samples for adoption, document and record any discrepancies for future use in fit sessions
- Coordinate with print and graphic team to ensure all print CADs are prepared on timely basis for all line presentations, produce CADs to represent assortment as need for line presentations
- Pre-press: review catalog images for color, product detail and fit depiction accuracy
As a member of the Athleta Women’s Design Team, you will join a team of designers to concept, design, and execute Athleta product to be sold thru our catalog, website and retail stores. Your overarching goal will be to successfully combine performance with fashion in our products as well as to balance process and creativity in your practice.
Who you are
- College Degree – BS/BA in Apparel/Fashion Design
- Experience in performance, technical or Outdoor apparel
- Strong understanding of color, print and design, portfolio a must
- Hands on design experience, flat sketching a must
- Strong organizational skills- proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and other CAD software
- Athletic expertise a plus
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a cross functional team environment
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs