About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
Our stores account for the lion’s share of Gap Inc.’s revenue of $16B, and as a Technical Lead for Checkout microservices, you will lead a team of backend software engineers focused on developing Gap Inc.’s core checkout microservices that form the backend engine for the point-of-sale mobile solution across 2000+ stores processing over $10B+ of transaction volume. The successful candidate will be technical (hands-on), capable of working as a senior contributor, and will provide front-line engineering leadership.
• Lead a team of high-performing backend engineers to build an architecturally sustainable codebase; participate in code reviews and proof of concepts
• Set technical direction while ensuring they align with the goals of the larger organization
• Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality
• Lead the team in its DevOps journey; instill a culture of constant analysis of business and systems metrics to improve system performance and user experience
• Collaborate with Product Owner, operational teams and other engineering managers to provide guidance on complexity and delivery estimates
• Guide team in analysis and resolution of production issues and defects; Facilitate Root Cause Analysis discussions
• Monitor and manage team performance; coach team members; drive adoption via mentoring
• Participate in hiring activities including screening, and interviewing
Who you are
• Built an expertise in REST APIs development using Java, Spring, Springboot, and any of the cloud technologies such as Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Azure, AWS for the 6-8 years
• Strong expertise in any of the databases such as Oracle, HBASE, SQL Server or NoSQL such as Cassandra, MongoDB, data access patterns and familiarity with ORM technologies. Skilled in architecting, designing and developing highly scalable and available applications
• Disciplined in DevOps practice including CI/CD; Experienced with tools used for testing, debugging, code analysis and coverage
• Experienced in leading, inspiring, and motivating teams through effective communication
• Strong focus on security; experienced in handling customer data, knowledge of PCI / PII etc.
• Well versed in real-time networking, mobile network issues, concurrency and threading
• Able to showcase strong examples of consumer facing mobile apps delivered to market over many iterations
• Have total of 12-15 years of experience in building high volume scalable, software for internet based consumer or enterprise companies processing millions of transactions
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs