INTERMIX is known for curating the most exciting mix of product from luxury and emerging designers. We’re all about delighting our customers by helping them to discover trends, designers and notably special pieces.
Our unique culture blends an obsession with fashion with a powerful entrepreneurial energy. Online and in our stores — where merchandise is hand-selected — we’re devoted to one-on-one service and styling, driven by data and on-the-ground insights that – at the end of the day, help us make our customers feel effortlessly chic. If you’re bold, curious, and want to be part of an innovative approach to fashion, join us.
About the role
The Chief Merchant, INTERMIX will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic merchandising direction for INTERMIX across all markets and channels. Accountable for the overall growth and profitability of the business, he or she will oversee all aspects of merchandising, assortment planning and vendor negotiations in order to position INTERMIX as a leader in the fashion retail space. S/He will work with the President, peers and direct reports to continually adapt and refine the merchandising visionto respond to changing consumer demands, current trends and market conditions. S/He will provide strategic direction as the business continues to evolve.
S/he will also be responsible for hiring, developing and motivating a high performing buying team, fostering a culture of creativity, collaboration and entrepreneurialism. This is a team-driven culture and the Chief Merchant, INTERMIX will need to work effectively across all the functional areas in order to deliver business results.
Build the Business Strategy
What you'll do
Cultivate and build Long-Term Relationships with Key Brand Executives
- Develop an integrated and innovative strategy that positions INTERMIX as a significant and profitable player in its category.
- Approach the business strategically, taking into account operational and branding considerations.
- Refine merchandising strategy from a product and brand mix, pricing, and margin perspectives.
- Create a viable operations strategy for the business including inventory management, logistics, etc. to ensure feasibility of each desired event.
- Build a business that is in-line with INTERMIX’s financial objectives ensuring key levers of the P&L are met (growth, margin, etc); develop an operation that leverages costs.
Develop the Team
- Identify and secure target brands. Present the benefits of a brand partnership with senior brand executives.
- Initiate contact and cultivate relationships that continue over extended periods of time. Develop win-win positioning and eliminate barriers to continued business participation.
- Coordinate with the INTERMIX buying team to properly assort the seasonal lines and negotiate product orders consistent with company goals.
- Know the competitive landscape; be aware of shifting market trends and adjust business strategies to remain relevant and in a leadership position.
- Identify talent opportunities and attract proven performers; empower, motivate and retain the talent
- Create an environment where the team is supported, learning, collaborative, creative and encouraged to test new ideas and to take thoughtful risks.
Who you are
· Experienced retail leader with 15+ years’experience in a highly branded omni-channel business with a strong consumerfocus including recent general management or senior brand managementexperience.
· Experience in contemporary, cross-channel,brand-focused business is a must; experience in e-commerce and strong vendorpartnerships in the Women’s category would offer added advantage to candidacy.
· An innovative, collaborative business ownerwith proven success in driving flawless execution on strategic goals in afast-paced environment with rapidly changing priorities.
· Demonstrated capacity to create and lead theimplementation of strategic, creative and fiscally sound programs to driveprofitability.
· Has P&L experience in a similarly sizedor larger organization.
· Has ability to flex between micro and macrolevel thinking and work with all levels of management; ability to deep diveinto small and big issues across the whole scope of the business.
· Breadth and depth of merchandising experienceand a passion for the business and for product.
· Proven team building, leadership andanalytical skills combined with a demonstrated ability to use customer data insmart and ground-breaking ways.
· A high integrity leader who has hired,motivated and retained high performance talent.
· Ability to unite key colleagues andcross-functional partners by gaining trust through demonstrating businessexpertise and by supporting their key initiatives
Benefits at Intermix
- A generous merchandise discount on select designers at Intermix and 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.