Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Senior Merchandiser is responsible for driving the Merchandise Strategy to meet the commercial needs of the globalegional business. They will develop, communicate and drive seasonal business product strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and the customer expectations, while developing and training the merchant team. They will lead and collaborate with their department cross functional teams in the development and execution of the seasonal merchandise strategy. Initiatives include assortment strategies, weekly business review and product re-caps, identifying business opportunities, Average Unit Cost Management (AUC), Pricing and Product Architecture, Test and Respond, and Market hind-sighting. This position is HQ/NY based and will be part of the Global Divisional Product Merchant Team and partner with Design, Production, Inventory Management and Marketing.
• Leads the Department Cross Functional Team to be; innovative, fast moving and team oriented in order to drive results.
• Influences Global Design to ensure that design supports customer and business needs while remaining innovative.
• Develop close partnerships with Inventory Management teams to build a Global Flow Strategy, while ensuring that specific needs of each region are met.
• Partners with Product Development to ensure that sourcing strategies are cost-effective.
• Talent Builder to actively supports individual development of own team members.
• Develops assortments and strategies aligned to overall department strategy, resulting in increased earnings.
• Builds assortments that meet global and regional needs – right time, right place, and right price.
• Identifies product opportunities and expert in competitive landscape.
• Partners with Design and Production on product strategies and requirements to ensure customer needs are met, AUC profitability and speed to market.
• Partners with Inventory Management on seasonal investment strategy by market to ensure big ideas and growth drivers are protected.
• Communicates seasonal strategies in a collaborative way to key cross functional team and leadership to ensure innovation and financial success as a focus.
• Solution oriented – be resourceful to problems that arise within department and outside department.
• Develops individuals; provides thoughtful and timely feedback; Mentor’s other team members.
Who you are
• 6+ years of Merchandising – experience in developing and executing merchandising strategies.
• Financial Acumen – knowledge of and ability to impact financial outcomes.
• Strategic and Analytic Thinker – thinks strategically, conceptually and creatively.
• Vertical Retail – has demonstrated ability to work in vertical retail environment.
• Team Leadership-has influenced cross -functional teams.
• Change Leadership-experience working through significant change and transformation to move an organization forward.
• Drive Results – proven track record of driving results.
• Collaboration-proven ability to work in an environment where collaboration with cross functional partners is a key focus and speed is crucial.
• Experimentation – has explored and tried new ways of approaching goals.
• Learning Agility – demonstrates an ability to seek new information, ideas, experiences, and is self-awareness
• Talent Builder-proven track record of developing best-in-industry leaders. 1-2 years of management experience.
• International experience preferred
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.