Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Merchandiser is responsible for driving the Merchandise Strategy to meet the commercial needs of the globalegional business. Overseeing the full product lifecycle from start to finish. They will develop (in partnership with Sr. Merchandiser/MM), communicate and drive seasonal business product strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and the customer expectations. They will collaborate with their department cross functional teams and Sr. Merchandiser/MM in the development and execution of the seasonal merchandise strategy. Initiatives include assortment strategies, weekly business review and product re-caps, identifying business opportunities, Pricing and Product Architecture, Test and Respond, and Competitive Market Place Knowledge. This position is HQ/NY based and will be part of the Global Divisional Product Merchant Team and partner with Design, Production, Inventory Management and Marketing.
• Collaborates with the Department Cross Functional Team to be; innovative, fast moving and team oriented.
• Develop close partnerships with Merchandise Planning and Inventory Management to set pre-season targets to meet financial goals and develop promotional strategies.
• Partners with Product Development to ensure that sourcing strategies are cost-effective, and product is getting to store on-time.
• Partners with Design to develop the product strategies and execution that fits into the Gap aesthetic.
Who you are
• Delivers Results that align to overall department strategy, resulting in increased earnings and financial success.
• Builds assortments that meet global and regional needs – right time, right place, and right price.
• Identifies product opportunities through business learnings and white space in the competitive landscape.
• Partners with Design and Production on product strategies and requirements to ensure customer needs are met, AUC profitability and speed to market.
• Partners with Inventory Management and Merchandise Planning on current business and seasonal investment strategy by market to ensure strategy is executed and identifying growth drivers.
• Own assignment of flow and global tiers, season code, size model and time on offer at the style level and capture in the Omni PETE (assortment tool).
• Communicates seasonal strategies in a collaborative way to key cross functional team to ensure alignment and clarity before beginning the product lifecycle.
• May support sample process which includes all aspects of Sample Management.
• Global Merchandising – experience in supporting the development and execution of global merchandising strategies.
• Financial Acumen – knowledge of and ability to impact financial outcomes.
• Strategic and Analytic Thinker – thinks strategically, conceptually and creatively.
• Vertical Retail – has demonstrated ability to work in vertical retail environment.
• Dealing with Ambiguity - experience working through significant change and transformation.
• Drive Results – can demonstrate driving results.
• Collaboration - proven ability to work in an environment where collaboration with cross functional partners is a key focus.
• Learning Agility – demonstrates an ability to seek new information, ideas, experiences, and is self-awareness in a fast-paced environment.
• 4-5 years of Merchandising Experience
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.