We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
A critical member of Athleta’s brand marketing leadership team, the Editorial Director will define and enforce a consistent brand voice—across all platforms. They will help lead Athleta’s annual and seasonal editorial direction and execution.
He or she will lead, develop and grow Athleta’s editorial team, which is responsible for editorial development across all brand platforms including Social, eCom, Email, Catalog, Packaging, and Retail Marketing.
Curious, nimble, quick-witted, efficient, collaborative, proactive. These are some of the words that describe our ideal candidate. He or she is passionate about embracing an active lifestyle, environmental responsibility, and immersing themselves in cultural trends.
This highly creative person embraces a digital-first mindset, and understands how to distill an idea to its core. They are as passionate about crafting punchy, concise copy as they are about developing memorable values-driven campaigns and building meaningful, enduring connections with the Athleta community of women and girls.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Concept and Design.
What you'll do
- Develop, lead and mentor a world class editorial team that collaborates effectively with cross functional teams
- Maintain strong partnerships with Athleta’s Creative Director, creative team, product team and Seasonal Brand Marketing Strategy Lead to bring seasonal brand and product stories to life across vehicles
- Undertake continuous market and cultural trend research, which ensures we remain not only culturally relevant but also at the forefront of marketing innovation.
- Lead creative brainstorms and the development of seasonal campaign, product story, and content strategy and execution across all platforms
- Present editorial/content perspective and strategy to executives for sign off throughout the season
- Review and approve all editorial copy to ensure it’s on brand, on brief and on time
- Partner closely with Head of Traffic on planning an assigning editorial projects
- Oversee seasonal product naming
- Oversee seasonal hangtag copy development and transmission to vendors
Who you are
- At least 10-15 years editorial / content development and leadership experience with fashion/apparel, consumer brand, editorial team and/or marketing agency
- Excellent annual and seasonal editorial strategy and marketing communications development and execution experience and skills with proven track record of driving strong business results
- Ability to translate brand, product, trend and merchandising information/strategies into marketable, commercially powerful editorial stories
- Masterful ability to sell a story, and rally cross functional teams and senior leadership around a concept
- Conceptual thinker who embraces strategy, sweats the details, and thrives on developing highly creative solutions
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills. and the ability to form effective partnerships across cross-functional teams – product design, merchandising, inventory management, strategy, finance, marketing, brand creative
- Experience with and passion for creative development of the Editorial team
- Impeccable verbal, written communications and presentation skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including demonstrated track record in managing complex projects
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment and managing ambiguity
- Flexibility to manage competing priorities and shift focus as determined by changing needs of the business
- Knowledge of the Sports/Fitness/Outdoor industry, athletic experience or interest a plus
- BA required
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs