About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
This position is responsible for the overall leadership and global strategy of key enterprise programs focused on privacy, data security and information management in collaboration with our global legal teams. This includes providing strategic counsel on customer and employee data practices and policies, vendor and technology agreements and the company’s e-commerce, mobile and omni-channel strategies, as well as serving as a key leader in compliance and incident responses. The role will work closely with the information security, internal audit, and corporate security teams and requires expertise in both privacy law and compliance in order to handle complex issues in a variety of contexts. This position will lead a team focused on privacy, data security and information management related projects and be expected to interact with and influence senior level business partners, including c-suite leaders and the directors.
Responsible for evolving privacy strategy and developing Gap Inc.’s next stage privacy program and compliance framework, including develop and communicate policies and practices, perform risk assessments, monitor ongoing compliance in coordination with other compliance and operational assessment functions, and collaboration with the information security team to ensure compliance with relevant regulations. Counsel marketing and innovation teams on privacy implications for new products and features, including in the areas of online advertising, mobile, social, and communications. Advise on privacy issues related to mobile applications, behavioral advertising, social networking and marketing, email, SMS/text, and telephone marketing, affiliate marketing, location-based services, tracking technologies, etc. Participate as a leader in the Global Legal Department sharing best practices, knowledge and resources across the internal community.
What you'll do
Provide proactive strategic leadership and guidance on privacy and data security issues across global legal and compliance teams to drive partnership, knowledge-sharing and efficiency.
Advise on compliance best practices across all aspects of global data protection law, including consumer data use and sharing, behavioral advertising and analytics, data retention, data security and data breaches. Support company engagement with government, industry, and consumer groups on privacy issues.
Advise on potential business impact of proposed changes to U.S. and international privacy and data security laws and regulations. Review collection use and transfers of user data and draft privacy policies and disclosures.
Provide strategic expertise and partnership to Gap Inc.’s commercial, advertising and employment legal teams on a wide range of data protection and other global privacy matters.
Creatively build upon and drive awareness around privacy and data security issues, including developing and delivering training. Lead data incident response preparedness, including evolving and practicing the Company’s data incident response plan.
Oversee Information and Records management including alignment with privacy and security policies. Oversee the company’s corporate archives.
Provide strategic direction and leadership to team and build strong talent and capability aligned to achieve strategic objectives. Ensure teams follow established strategies and deliver on goals and objectives.
Who you are
- Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience, preferably in a corporate legal department, with substantial focus on consumer and employee privacy and data security legal and compliance issues.
- Experience building and/or leading corporate privacy and data security program. Demonstrated collaboration skills including building strong business partnerships along with achieving results. Experience with online, mobile, social networking and digital technology issues.
- CIPP strongly preferred. Technical/systems background a plus.
- Experience effectively leading, managing and developing team. Strong interpersonal and team-building skills. Ability to work independently and cross-functionally
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and to juggle multiple tasks. Ability to influence beyond authority in a complex and matrixed organization. Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Flexibility and a positive attitude. Strong speaking, writing and negotiating skills. Support an inclusive work environment
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs