About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
As a member of the Old Navy External Communications team, thisrole is responsible for the development and execution of communicationstrategies that tell the Old Navy business story and illustrate the brand’sgrowth, values and culture. The manager will be tasked with generating positivemedia coverage in support of key business initiatives related to innovation,customer experience, breakthrough product and the brand’s commitment to itsvalues of inclusivity and sustainability.
Thisperson will also be responsible for creating and sourcing content for OldNavy’s corporate social media platforms, extending the reach of the brand’s unique voice to engage currentand perspective employees, while also informing external audiences about OldNavy’s business and culture.
Additional responsibilities include managing proactive andreactive news inquiries, including playing an integral role in managing crisisor reputational situations.
This person must be a self-starter with a proven trackrecord of executing against communications strategies that result in strongearned stories that map back to the brand’s strategic priorities andcommunication objectives. The ideal candidate will also have experience managingcorporate blogs and/or social media accounts.
What you'll do
- Focus on executing communication strategies andmedia relations programs in support of the Old Navy growth and businessobjectives
- Conceptualize, cultivate and execute creative communicationsstrategies in support of Old Navy’s corporate social media accounts
- Serve as a media spokesperson for the brand, asneeded; respond to daily press inquiries and business media requests withconsistent company messaging.
- Develop and maintain reporter relationships,especially retail beat reporters.
- Prepare external media materials including pressreleases, media alerts, bios, blogs, pitches, and Q+A documents.
- Support communications projects, as needed,focusing on a range of issues including reputational and crisis response, storeopenings and closures, retail trend stories, and other general inquiries aboutthe business.
Who you are
- 5 or more years of experience in communications, media, government or non-profit environment; Media relations experience required, with a focus on retail preferred
- Deep experience with writing, multimedia content development and leadership support (fashion and retail experience preferred)
- Experience managing or contributing to a brand or company blog and/or social media platforms
- Outstanding communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Strong project management skills and history of driving projects (such as events, speaking engagements and full comms plans) from kickoff to completion in a fast-paced environment, amidst obstacles and ambiguity
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle short and long-term projects simultaneously
- Effective team player capable of leading efforts across categories
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Indexfor the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs