Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Senior Technical Designer of Tech Design facilitates the transition of product from design concept and first prototype to a final, production ready prototype. The Senior Technical Designer collaborates with cross-functional partners to land appropriate raw materials for both fit and functional intent as well as with business partners to obtain clear direction and consensus on design aesthetic, fit intent and construction. The Senior Technical Designer is an expert, responsible for leading fit sessions on live models or mannequins and working with Design to achieve design aesthetic and communicate fit and balance corrections to participants. They will leverage and develop key vendor relationships to support working efficiently and drive fit consistency.
• Ensure overall Customer fit consistency and provide fit approvals when necessary.
• Demonstrate a sound understanding of design, merchandising, and product development priorities.
• Lead fit sessions, construction approval, and documentation to all business partners to meet guidelines.
• Support the development of pattern blocks and to achieve optimal and consistent fit.
• Leverage technical knowledge and leadership support to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach.
• Communicate fit intent, balance and construction to vendors.
• Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
• Evaluate garment to determine compliance of specs, construction and fit intent.
• Track and manage workflow and workload for own product.
• Recommend raw material components to meet brand standard and uphold design intent.
Who you are
• Degree- AA or Certification in Patternmaking, Apparel Manufacturing, Design, or equivalent
• Technical Design- significant experience with fabric and garment construction and manufacturing processes (minimum of 7-10 years)
• Computer Skills- Pattern programs: ADS, Gerber, Lectra. Additional: PLM, PDM, Adobe Illustrator, Optitex 3D Technology
• Problem Solver- can proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
• Team Leadership- has successfully led teams (direct and dotted line reporting relationships) for a minimum of 2-3 years.
• Collaboration- proven ability to influence and make decisions across geographies in a matrix environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
• Communication- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across multiple audiences at all levels of the organization.
• Learning Agility- demonstrated curiosity, motivated to learn new skills and knowledge.
• Resourcefulness - experience in managing dynamic projects that require the ability to flex as obstacles are presented.
• Talent Builder- proven track record of assessing, attracting, and developing talent.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.