Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The General Manager (GM) is the leader ultimately responsible for a Gap Outlet Store. The GM delivers financial results by creating a positive environment and through thinking of the customer first, inspiring creativity, and doing what's right. The GM exercises independent judgment and discretion in developing, articulating and implementing strategies and plans to drive the business. They own the store experience from a merchandise presentation, process management, and customer and employee experience perspective.
What you'll do
- Inspires and motivates team by educating and informing of Gap Inc.'s approach and vision; presents a compelling vision and direction for the store and business.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and leads management team; ensures maximum performance through coaching and performance feedback; holds regular individual touch bases, management meetings and Division of Responsibility walkthroughs.
- Creates development plans for managers based on career aspirations/development needs.
- Addresses poor performance; initiates and administers performance improvement action plans and/or corrective action as necessary.
- Oversees hiring plan to meet needs of the business; approves hiring/termination decisions.
- Delegates effectively by assigning and overseeing management's Divisions of Responsibilities; effectively accomplishes work through others.
- Recognizes potential in people and develops plans to leverage; creates succession plan to ensure all managers and employees are prepared for the next level and identified career path.
- Motivates team by recognizing and rewarding individuals and/or store for great performance.
- Handles employee issues and concerns in a professional and respectful manner.
- Encourages team retention by promoting a positive store environment.
- Promotes community service by organizing events and recognizing participation and achievements in store.
- Partners with District Manager on all issues involving "on-notice" situations; coaches managers on how to prevent and handle on-notice situations.
- Annually writes performance reviews/administers compensation changes.
- Leads and models outstanding service to our internal and external customer.
- Performs role of Manager on Duty; observes and provides feedback to managers on their MOD goals and performance.
- Regularly connects with center and community leaders on upcoming events and traffic patterns; utilizes marketing resources to drive traffic/increase customer awareness.
- Educates and motivates team on credit card goals and ensures active participation in acquisition drives.
- Resolves escalated customer complaints in a professional, respectful manner; educates and empowers team to resolve customer concerns in the moment.
- Evaluates the store from the customer's point of view; utilizes the Customer Experience Survey to educate team on store's performance and to improve the customer experience.
- Reviews product placement, marketing components/signage and promotional strategies to ensure alignment with brand direction and key product strategies; provides necessary feedback to appropriate business partner.
- Ensures that store is merchandised to represent the brand's strategy and standards as outlined in the Visual Presentation Guide/VOLT.
- Identifies, creates and manages a store business plan to drive results and maximize business opportunities; knows and is able to speak to store business metrics.
- Drives overall store earnings by growing top line sales and bottom line profitability; utilizes P&L statement, dashboard and other reporting to identify and take action on areas for improvement.
- Controls and manages sales and payroll on a daily basis using key business reports and payroll tools.
- Monitors and adjusts schedules to maximize employee productivity, obtain payroll goals and cover key business hours/peak days.
- Knows and follows all company policies and procedures, including store safety standards and compliance audit requirements; educates store team and ensures consistent compliance to policy. Addresses violations to policy in a fair, timely and consistent manner.
- Holds team accountable to knowing and executing all store processes in alignment with company expectations and standards; ensures team members are trained on all processes.
- Implements all aspects of the company shortage reduction program and partners with team/DLPM/DM to minimize loss and achieve shrink goals.
- Reports to District Manager.
- Interacts with all levels of Headquarters and field management.
- Works closely with peers in and outside immediate region/district as required.
Who you are
- Expert in store systems, policy and procedure; able to interpret policies and procedures to resolve customer and employee issues.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with store team, customers and all levels of Headquarters and field management.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills.
- Ability to analyze data to drive results.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and work as a team towards a common goal.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Minimum 5 years retail experience, Gap Inc. experience preferred.
- Experience in an operational function and/or customer service industry.
- Ability to travel, including overnight as required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift and carry 30lbs.
- Ability to walk and stand for 6 hours per day.
- Ability to maneuver around sales floor, stockroom and office areas.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent preferred.
This description intends to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs