About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
What We Do: The Manager of Fabric R&D leverages consumer insights, mill strategies, and key trends to drive fabric development and innovation. He/She will support a ‘Fabric First’ mentality and strategy throughout the product-to-market process. He/She also provides direction and thought partnership to the entire Male wovens cross functional team, mills/vendors as well as their Mill Management peers in Asia. Demonstrate a comprehensive technical understanding of woven materials, chemical applications, films & yarns relative to development execution and costs.
What you'll do
Demonstrate a comprehensive technical understanding of woven materials, chemical applications, films & yarns relative to development execution and cost
Analyze male woven fabric needs across the brand and action into developments that are within ON’s cost and aesthetic parameters
Provide recommendations and guidance to Design and cross functional partners for leveraging qualities across male divisions
Translate seasonal brand concepts and trends into clear and executable direction to GIS, mills and vendors
Collaborate with the R&D team to build compelling seasonal trend presentations exhibited through the Old Navy brand filters
Responsible for promoting a collaborative and transparent work environment with cross functional teams and GIS, providing clear and concise information in a timely manner
Responsible for evaluating and providing solutions for testing failures, offering production workable resolutions and providing regular status updates to the CFT
Identify opportunities to update/innovate franchise fabrics and seasonal development needs, propose updates and follow through to completion
Provide guidance, coaching and training to 1 direct report
Who you are
- Experience working with fabrics
- Attend tradeshows to research and identify new material trends and innovation with the ability to present these trends back to the cross functional teams through ON brand filters
- Direct appropriate fabric innovation opportunities to GIS and suppliers
- Ability to identify and execute relevant future material innovation while managing franchise and seasonal developments
- Fortify and maintain long-term supplier relationships built on trust and integrity
- Provide feedback on suppliers to GIS after mill presentations/meetings
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to the cross functional teams on testing, print and yarn dye capabilities as well as any technical limitations.
- Responsible for the male woven material library ensuring quality, hand feel and wash standards are updated, readily available and organized
- Responsible for managing the wash standard process and the golden standard library
- Communicate material information relevant to material cost, capacity, lead time, and minimum order quantities prior to Seasonal VP Fabric Alignment to CFT.
- Lead and drive appropriate weekly fabric meetings for category.
- Ability to identify and suggest process improvements.
Quality, Specs and Testing
- Partner with GIS/fabric technology to gain a deep knowledge and understanding of quality standards and test methods
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs