About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
Gap Inc. Is looking for a User Experience Designer to innovate for our customers’ digital experience. You will be a key player in creating new ways of engaging with our family of brands, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta, and Hill City—with a focus on guiding and inspiring our customers every day.
You will research, strategize, design, and create experiments; collaborating with Product Management, Consumer Insights, Development, and brand stakeholders in a fast-paced Lean Experimentation environment. A typical day could have you in research interviews, building out UX flows in Sketch, partnering with stakeholders to better understand their business needs, creating UI, or observing users as they navigate your prototyped designs. We’re looking for someone who has an entrepreneurial mind, refined aesthetic sensibilities, a strong team-spirit, and is passionate, curious, and results-driven.
What you'll do
Utilize user research and customer data to understand and identify customer behaviors, challenges, needs, and desires.
Be a self-motivated partner, capable of adapting quickly to a fast-paced environment.
Design end-to-end digital flows and prototypes with tools such as Sketch, InVision, Adobe CC, Axure, Flinto, Framer, or Principal.
Run experiments with Lean Experimentation and Test and Learn methodologies to inform the direction of the solution to be implemented. Leveraging testing to validate assumptions.
Translate user insights into opportunity areas.
Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional team to implement a digital product or service.
Manage several complex projects simultaneously, working in rapid iteration.
Understand the execution side of design, as well as the business aspects of the products and services.
Be future-focused and curious about technologies; Machine Learning, AI, VR, AR, and Conversation Design.
Foster Gap Inc.’s culture and principles within the group
Who you are
- 2-5 years of professional UX/UI Design or Product Design experience; contributed to a couple shipped projects.
- Portfolio demonstrating proficiency designing for mobile web and/or mobile apps/devices; familiarity with the mobile-first approach.
Proven to be inquisitive, a quick learner, adaptive, and resourceful.
Portfolio demonstrating proficiency in interaction and visual design, with examples describing the challenge, process, solution, and outcome. Any information regarding research, testing, and thought process will be most informative.
- Basic familiarity with HTML and CSS, enough to understand if what you are designing can be built. More experience hands-on with HTML and CSS is always a plus but you arenot expected to code.
- E-commerce experience.
- Omni-channel or service design experience.
- Experience with Lean UX and/or Lean Startup.
- Understanding of data and analytics with the ability to do some basic data visualization.
- Portfolio demonstrating use of a broad design toolkit; including storyboards, journey maps, service blueprints, and micro-interactions.
- Interest or experience facilitating design thinking working sessions.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences
- Able to facilitate discussions as a partner with a cross functional focus to reach a shared understanding of user and business goals .
- Previous experience with transactional applications including loyalty, payment, CRM, SAS, etc
- Enjoys a highly collaborative environment and is ready to grab a whiteboard marker whenever it is needed.
- Capable of understanding the business need and the user need and translating both into an elegant solution that solves for both parties. And an understanding of how to learn the user need (rather than inferring or using personal bias).
- Able to understand the short-term and long-term goals of a project and has patience to work with the cross functional team and a large set of stakeholders over a longer period of time (1yr + possibly) on short term wins to enable long term wins.
- Possesses ability to articulate design solutions and intentions based on research, usability practices and business values. Able to persuade stakeholders of various groups in the company of the validity of an approach and facilitate discussions as a partner with a cross functional focus on meeting user and business goals.
- Team player who is comfortable with daily standups and actively engaged in regular meetings to define the solution together. Focuses on the learnings and outcome related to team goals (rather than individual contributions).
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs