About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer’s spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what’s next.
About the role
The Technical Designer facilitates the transition of product from initial design and trend concept end to end. He/She collaborates with cross-functional partners to land appropriate raw materials for both fit and functional intent as well as with business partners to obtain clear direction and consensus on design aesthetic, fit intent and construction. He/She is an expert responsible for leading fit sessions on live models or mannequins and working with Design to achieve design aesthetic and communicate fit and balance corrections to participants. He/she will leverage and develop key vendor relationships to support working efficiently and drive fit consistency to improve the customer experience.
What you'll do
- Execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining corporate standard
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent.
- Effectively communicate fit intent, balance and construction to vendors via pattern diagram or directly on pattern.
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
- Ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories.
- Confirm compliance of garment to specifications and fit direction.
- Communicate fit and balance issues via pattern diagram or directly on pattern.
- Leads fit session on live model or mannequin and takes initiative of specific product (s).
- Assure seasonal and Brand deadlines are met.
- Identify and proactively engage supervisor and BP's when issues arise
- Collaborate with business partners on creation of a style to establish the initial spec and construction detail.
- Conducts self and others within established guidelines of the Corporate Fit Protocol, Gap Inc Code of Conduct, and Gap Inc. Purpose, Value
- Behaviors in fittings.
- Fosters open communication and team environment with all business partners; receives constructive feedback professionally.
- Holds self and others accountable for work commitments and outcomes.
- Participates in departmental and cross-functional meetings as appropriate.
- Evaluate garment to determine compliance of spec, construction, and fit intent.
- Insure size and fit consistency within Brand and across product category.
- Recommend raw material components to meet brand standard and uphold design intent.
- Identify potential product, quality and costing issues and make appropriate recommendations.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team; gather information and update all reports necessary for meeting.
Who you are
- Expertise in patternmaking including grading, construction and fit.
- Knowledge of construction standards and manufacturing methods.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Organizational skills and ability to multi task.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Ability to effectively influence.
- Ability to convey necessary corrections.
- Strong computer skills (preferred programs: computer pattern programs, such as ADS, Gerber, Lectra, computer spec writing programs such as Gerber, PDM, Karat, email system i.e. Lotus Notes, MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word)
- AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent.
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs