Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Gap Online Japan’s Sr. Buying Manager coordinates and manages the development, execution and communication of merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising, marketing, and financial objectives of Adult divisions. This person will represent Japan Online Adult and collaborate with leads of global online team, market planning team, global planning team, and global merchandising team, to ensure strong assortment as well as customer-friendly site experience is achieved.
PRE-SEASON FINANCIAL PLANNING
What you'll do
- Responsible for the development of seasonal financial targets by Division - to include sales, gross margin and inventory.
- Responsible for the development and communication of Divisional product strategies that align with financial goals of the season.
- Responsible for leading buying team through pre-season planning milestones from buyplanning in PETE through investment review and unit booking timelines.
- Partner with marketing and JP store team to ensure big investments support seasonal marketing calendar.
- Hindsight businesses quarterly and share with global merchandising team, global planning team, as well as Japan market planning team to influence future product offering and buys.
- Responsible for the financial success of Adult Divisions by meeting sales, gross margin, and inventory productivity goals.
- Lead team and cross-functional counterparts to develop and communicate tactical plans to achieve business timelines and deliverables.
- Oversee the development of Basics sales and inventory forecasts to maximize sales opportunity while driving optimal inventory service levels and profitability.
- Direct team on pricing recommendations and strategies that align with Divisional financial plans.
- Oversee seasonal hindsight learnings and strategically identify opportunities for pre-line.
- Initiate and lead the team on end-to-end seasonal photo planning processes. Align with global online merchandising team on key messages and create market appropriate exclusive messages in partnership with marketing team and Buying Director. Ensure exclusive messages are driving both channels (online and stores) for Japan.
- Accountable for balancing team workload across pre-season and in- season, product and financial milestones and deliverables.
- Proficiency with enterprise applications (Venus, NOVA, etc.) as well as GOL specific tools (cube platform).
- Lead team through web management to create a compelling product experience on the site, to include inspirational merchandise presentation, simple and intuitive category navigation and clear and accurate product details.
- Ensure the web site effectively communicates the product and merchandise strategies. Develop, communicate and drive seasonal shop strategies and promotional plans, ensuring a compelling product assortment that will meet overall business objectives.
- Responsible for weekly site deliverables - promo outlook, site review, creative review to ensure clarity on all execution.
- Ensure team is reviewing Omniture reporting to understand customer’s preferences. Apply learnings to future concepts, linking and sorting.
- Partner with Marketing and Creative to ensure a compelling site and customer experience that supports the overall business objectives and meets customer expectations.
- Responsible for team’s timely and accurate workflow.
- Able to learn and understand Japanese consumers as well as Gap aesthetics in order to create market appropriate product offerings and sorts at market appropriate timing.
- Understand competitive environment; proactively seek market knowledge through exposure to competitive retail outlets.
- Lead by example in creating a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented environment.
- Balance workload priorities across divisions and departments to ensure successful execution of strategies and goals.
- Communicate job standards and performance expectations to direct reports in a timely manner.
- Accountable for career development and skill development of teams to ensure job satisfaction, retention, and future talent development.
- Recognize & reward performance.
- Develop bench-strength and a talent pipeline through active participation in recruiting and succession planning.
- Actively solicit ideas and listen to all members of the cross-functional team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team feels ownership in the business.
- Demonstrate a global perspective.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of cross-functional teams (Production, Marketing, Creative, Japan market planning, Global Planning, and Global Merchants) and able to influence them to achieve results.
Who you are
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- 2-4 year experience as an Inventory Analyst, Planning, or equivalent
- 4-8 years of retail buying, planning or related analytical experience
- 2-4 years of supervisory or coaching related experience
- Strong financial and analytical skills are must.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Possess a working knowledge of financial measurements.
- Thrives in fast moving environment and can adapt to change.
- Demonstrate a point of view about product assortment and business opportunities.
- Able to negotiate with and influence peers and members of cross-functional team
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities
- Able to organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines
- Maintain a cooperative team environment that promotes high performance standards and attainment of goals.
- Demonstrate strong listening, verbal, written and presentation skills. Communicates effectively reflecting an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Able to effectively manage and resolve conflict.
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to dynamic, fast-paced, and fact-based environment.
- Able to effectively lead and develop results-oriented teams.
- Able to give timely and actionable feedback to direct reports and manager.
- Able to develop, train, and motivate individuals.
- Accurately assess employee strengths and developmental needs that support individual career development.
- Proactively identify business issues and develop creative solutions.
- Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements including; sales, gross margin, gross margin return on investment (GMROI), weeks on hand (WOH), weeks of supply (WOS), etc. and how to impact them.
- Customer oriented.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs