Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
• Develop and manage the execution of end to end sales, gross margin and inventory strategies to hit Department or Division sales plans.
• Create a comprehensive seasonal framework that aligns product strategies with financial goals.
• Drive partnership and collaboration with Global Merchandising team to ensure the seasonal, global assortment meets the Gap Online customer and business needs.
• Balance and prioritize workload for team.
• Manage teams supporting end-to-end buying of multiple Departments/a Division
• Accountable for the skill development and career growth of direct reports/team.
PRE-SEASON FINANCIAL PLANNING
• Manage the financial success of one or more Departments or a Division by meeting sales, gross margin, and inventory productivity goals.
• Build pre-season Class, Department and Division financial targets that align with the Division’s seasonal product strategy and include sales, gross margin and inventory.
• Develop and communicate seasonal Department or Divisional product strategies that align with financial goals of the season.
• Manage the assessment of sales and inventory plans from investment through in-season management, including ongoing assortment updates and inventory changes in appropriate tools.
• Measure and communicate financial results, forecasts, and action plans to Director and cross-functional team on a weekly basis.
• Partner with cross-functional team members to develop and communicate tactical plans to achieve business timelines and deliverables.
• Manage the assessment of sales and inventory plans from investment through in-season management, including ongoing assortment updates and inventory changes in our tools.
• Develop and manage Basics sales and inventory forecasts to maximize sales opportunity while driving optimal inventory service levels and profitability.
• Develop pricing recommendations and strategies in alignment with total business financial plans.
• Assist in/own the forecast of in-season sales and inventory trends through the monthly OTB process. Develop product and financial strategies to maximize opportunities and mitigate risk.
• Recap departmental or divisional seasonal hindsight learnings (product and financial) and strategically identify opportunities for pre-line.
• Oversee receipt reconciliation process
• Assist in the development of seasonal product strategies.
• Perform daily activities that support the merchandising strategies and merchandise pipeline. Ensure timely workflow on all deliverables defined by the Global product pipeline and seasonal check lists.
• Develop seasonal category strategies to enable the development and execution of site and sort strategies.
• Manage team of Buyers, Assistant Buyers, and Inventory Specialists. Provide leadership by creating a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented environment.
• Balance workload priorities across departments and division to ensure successful execution.
• Communicate timelines, standards and performance expectations to direct reports in a timely manner.
• Accountable for career development and skill development of teams to ensure job satisfaction, retention, and future talent development.
• Recognize & reward performance.
• Support employees in development goals and provide them with the appropriate tools, training and feedback for their professional development.
• Actively solicit ideas and listen to all members of the cross-functional team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team feels ownership in the business.
• Provide manager with timely feedback on personal developmental and training goals.
Who you are
• Customer and product centric. Ability to adapt work to meet the needs of the customer.
• Financial Acumen: The ability to use financial metrics to measure the performance of the business. Understand how financial levers impact results.
• Drive Business Results: The ability to read and react to business results, understanding how decisions impact those results.
• Systems & Tools Acumen: The ability to quickly develop tool and system proficiency.
• Ability to formulate short term tactical plans that are effective, efficient and support business and product strategies.
• Ability to effectively sell a point of view to both peers and upper management.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the target customer and of product trends.
• Ability to skillfully analyze an ambiguous problem, use rigorous logic to formulate a rational for the decisions and take action leveraging cross-functional resources.
• Priority Setting: Define highest priority work to team members.
• Demonstrate smart risk taking.
• Accurately assess employee strengths and development needs.
• Be open-minded to and receptive of other’s opinions.
• Adapt well to diverse audiences and environments.
• Demonstrate the organizational agility to facilitate multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.