Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The FIT intern is a dynamic, hard-working individual with vision, initiative, excellent communication skills, and a sharp focus. The FIT intern will be responsible for completing a 10-week in-store training program that ensures strong operations and leadership skills. Upon successful completion of the program, the intern could be offered a store leadership role.
The intern will be placed in a store of 30-60 team members. They will be responsible for completing all aspects of the internship including reading, activities, calls and experiences, providing leadership that will uphold the Gap Inc customer experience vision. The FIT will learn how to create a great place to shop for our customers and a great place to work for our employees. They will assist with driving business by overseeing a store with sales ranging from 2-7 million and will learn how to lead an exceptional customer experience through visual merchandising, strategic product placement, store operations, financial acumen and human resource activities and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
What you'll do
- Learn to manager through effective planning, prioritizing, communication and follow up
- Exposure to developing and communicating short term and long term business plans that set clear performance objectives for the store team
- Observes, setting team direction, supporting priorities and maximizing the internal and external customer experience
- Utilizes company tools and sales reports to analyze trends and identify business opportunities
- Reflects weekly to measure and receives feedback on individual performance
- Partners with the General Manager to review the scheduling plan to effectively manage workload, support business objectives and maximize productivity
- Discusses short term and long term recruiting, hiring and staffing strategy to support the business
- Participates in interviews, hiring and training associates
- Creates a positive work environment through ensuring all policies are followed
- Partners with the General Manager to establish clear performance goals for 10 week program to ensure objectives are accomplished
- Passion for creating an extraordinary customer experience
- Students of all majors are welcome to apply. A GPA of 2.7 or better is preferred.
- Past retail experience is preferred but not required.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, delegation, follow-up skills
- Excellent attention to detail
Who you are
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and store personnel
- Maneuver around Sales floor, stock room and office
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the internship activities, and the business, including evening overnight and weekend shifts.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs