Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Assistant Art Director is responsible for leading the design and storytelling execution of adult fashion messaging for Gap’s websites and emails. This position requires a highly motivated individual with a sharp attention to detail, who can manage, inspire and mentor junior designers. Candidates should possess a sophisticated visual style, flexibility and a compelling portfolio. They should also be able to collaborate effectively, build the team, and provide direction within the Gap brand aesthetic.
Creative work will include interactive content—including emails, site messages, promos, banners, exclusive online shops—as well as other digital projects as assigned.
What you'll do
- Lead the overall look-and-feel for all weekly work.
- Translate business and marketing objectives into designs that are clear, compelling, visually exciting, easy to use and emotionally engaging.
- Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes creative leads, brand management, merchandising, marketing, creative technology and project management.
- Manage design team—junior staff and freelancers—including daily workload and individual development. Set clear roles, responsibilities and expectations of all projects to ensure that the design output is brand appropriate, and all marketing requirements are completed on time, and with the highest standard possible, for both internal and external reviews.
- Present work and communicate effectively to business partners and senior management.
Who you are
Expert knowledge of latest web technologies and technology trends.
Expert knowledge of design fundamentals, layout, typography, information hierarchy and web specifications.
Expert in idea generation, as well as collaboration with copy and photography creative partners.
Must be detailed-oriented, well-organized and able to thrive in deadline-driven environment.
Strong communication skills.
Ability to apply user interface and interactive design best practices to projects.
Strong knowledge of mobile usability and best practices. Responsive design experience extremely helpful (email and site).
Expert knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and MAC OS environment.
HTML5/DHTML/CSS3 experience helpful.
BFA in Graphic Design or related area.
Retail design experience is required.
7+ years professional experience in web design or multimedia.
3+ years management experience.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.