We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
Athleta is creating a new breed of premium, authentically active and fashion-fueled apparel for a life in motion. Our mission is to ignite a community of active, healthy confident women and girls who empower each other to realize their limitless potential. We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do. Like community. Participation. Empowering others. Working as a team. Never forgetting that work isn't work without a little play - and, of course, being a part of something bigger. At Athleta we’re always reaching for amazing - and that challenge is what fuels us!
The Director of Design, Athleta is responsible for visualizing and determining strategic direction of business; accountable for process improvement, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect their respective categories. This role leads a team of designers and partners closely with cross functional leaders who collectively are responsible for creating product that is famous for its technical beauty.
Collaboration & Influencing
Talent Builder Strategic Orientation
What you'll do
- Leads a high performing team to drive the product categories within your area of responsibility.
- Develops strong internal cross-functional relationships within Athleta and across Gap Inc. not limited to merchandising, production, tech design, marketing, product ops, and the Center of Excellence – Active.
- Leads and inspires functional team to remain; product obsessed, customer-focused, innovative, fast-moving and team-oriented.
- Key member of the Athleta Design leadership team.
- Sets overall direction in the conceptual development of product lines.
- Consistently seeks out Global Innovation.
- Responsible for managing team in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, designing, sketching, specing and fit.
- Ensures that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets international/domestic concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy.
- Oversees selection of fabric and trim.
- Responsible for identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement through immediate staff members.
- Selects, leads, develops, and evaluates team.
- Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and fit of product(s) during presentation.
- Ensures consistency of look between differing businesses and multiple categories.
Who you are
- Must have 10+ years of design background with at least 5 years of management experience.
- In depth knowledge of design techniques and processes.
- Team Leadership - has progressive experience leading teams of technical and non-technical experts to drive a common vision.
- Personal Leadership - demonstrated executive presence, ability to navigate complexity, work with creative and technical teams, and collaborate across a senior leadership team.
- Change Leadership - experience leading through significant change & transformation to move on organization forward in a financially responsible way.
- Talent Builder - proven track record of assessing, attracting and developing best in industry leaders and teams.
- Travel as business requires.
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs