Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Sr. Manager, HR serves as a strategic human resources business partner to the Gap Online(GOL) business unit and to the SVP of Digital in relation to ecommerce talent activities spanning across the brands. This role is an active member of the GOL leadership team, contributing to the health and success of the business by knowing the setting in which it operates. It is responsible for understanding the operating model of the business, providing leadership perspective, strategic thought partnership and engagement with other functional leaders while leveraging deep and broad human resources experience.
The Sr. Manager, HR creates and sustains strategic consultative relationships with their functional leaders and respective teams. The role demands proactive and collaborative advice and coaching. It is responsible for driving organizational effectiveness, employee engagement, and talent management strategies across the function(s) as well as advising their teams on differentiated strategies that meet the core needs of the business. The role acts as a trusted advisor and confidant to business leaders on all business needs and related talent issues.
Key Organizational Relationships for this role include:
What you'll do
- SVP/ GM GOL and Leadership Team
- Gap Inc. SVP Digital
- Gap Inc. functional partners: Employee and Labor Relations; Legal; Compensation, etc.
- Digital functional partners: business partners and HR teams
- Support the teams in all areas of key business goals, job/function/organizational design, performance management, employee/labor relations, change management, talent development & assessment, work force planning/talent acquisition, employee engagement and communications and strategic compensation/total rewards.
- Manage data, measurements and tactics to support key people programs and decisions. Leverage data to inform/influence business leaders and/or decisions.
- Conduct regular workforce and business review with business partners to highlight turnover, attrition risks, retention, staffing metrics, diversity efforts, and SLA satisfaction.
- Partner with business leaders to determine overall workforce planning needs for function; work with Compensation team to level jobs and with recruitment team to identify corresponding job specifications, skills, knowledge, abilities and sourcing strategies required for job openings.
- Implement established divisional talent review process for function; work with leaders to ensure development plans exist for key talent/bench.
- Provide leadership and management coaching at all levels; assess appropriate development solutions/intervention strategies for talent needs within function, including individual, team and bench development.
- Provide coaching and advise to leaders on sensitive/high-level employee issues; work with Corporate Employee Relations and Legal to develop action plans in conjunction with business leaders.
- Ensure consistent application of employee policies and practices.
Who you are
- Strong credible activist skills; confident in delivering an opposing point of view to fuel discussion
- Operates with the highest level of integrity
- Able to build trusting partnerships and influence leaders at all levels to clearly understand their roles, business impacts & needs
- Strong observation & influencing skills to provide leaders with candid observations
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills; able to extract key themes from disparate data points to develop a compelling story
- Demonstrated track record of sound, high quality decision making
- Knowledgeable of the functions/business processes, work & challenges
- Ability to craft people solutions, approaches & plans to meet business needs
- Can translate culture into management practices
- Ability to coach, develop & influence leaders
- Knowledge of organization functions & team dynamics
- Exceptional business ally and acumen kills – understands how business operates, and how to add value through a focus on business operations and objectives
- Strong group presentation and facilitation skills
- Able to work across multiple teams, and with people on a variety of organizational levels in often ambiguous circumstances
- Project management experience
- Minimum 5 - 7 years broad Human Resources business partner experience
- College degree or equivalent; advanced degree in Human Resources or Organizational Development a plus
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs