We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
As the Senior Designer, you will join the Merchandising, Design and Product Development team. You will collaborate with the Design Director and Design Team and work within the product development time and action calendar to develop, design, and execute private label merchandise for the Athleta Brand direct and retail channels.
Key responsibilities include:
What you'll do
- Direct current trend and design strategy for Sweaters, Knit Tops & Dresses classifications
- Competitive shop and research marketplace for hind sighting and inspiration
- With goal of winning on the intersection of performance and style, collaborate with the Design team to develop and communicate seasonal trend and sport inspiration and direction to Merchandising and Marketing/Creative teams
- Collaborate with Merchandising team on timing and pace of customer facing trend messaging
- Develop key trends and seasonal theme direction for silhouette and fabric appropriate to your classifications and for the Athleta brand for collaboration with the Merchant and Product Development team
- Offer direction for appropriate yarn qualities to work with in designing product that executes and creates best 1st proto options
- Develop and manage creative design and execution of Athleta product within the guidelines of the brand identity
- Research current bestsellers and trends to develop appropriate style, design, and brand evolution
- Develop your classifications, within the framework of the assortment plan, to reflect a balance between fashion/trend as well as core and emerging businesses for presentation to and selection by the Merchant and Product Development team
- Prepare and present thumbnail concepts and line drawings for silhouette review and selection
- Collaborate with Merchant to merchandise your classification
- Offer product color recommendations during line coloring process
- Create first proto sample tech packs and dimension specs to facilitate sampling
- Manage the trim sourcing and selection process
- Communicate with vendors on a daily basis on all design details
- Complete and update bill of materials at inception and throughout the process
- With the Merchant team, evaluate all first proto samples for adoption
- Working with the Technical Design team and Quality Assurance Manager, evaluate all adopted styles for aesthetic, fit, construction, and quality
- Along with the Merchant team, evaluate photo samples for accuracy and execution
- Oversee concept board and divisional CAD development process for line review presentation
- Mentor, give direction and share design expertise with team to encourage growth and build the brand
Who you are
- College Degree - BS/BA in Apparel/Fashion Design
- 8+ years of design related experience - especially in Sweater design
- Strong understanding of yarns, stitches and sweater silhouettes.
- Experience in seamless apparel an advantage
- Strong artistic background
- Hands on design experience- flat and illustrator sketching a must
- Strong organizational skills - proficiency in Microsoft applications
- CAD proficiency - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or CAD software a must
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a cross functional team environment
- Athletic/Performance design expertise a plus
- Direct to consumer experience a plus
- Portfolio is a must
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs