Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Senior Design Director manages and directs a Design Team that is responsible for setting the overall design direction of the product line. He/ She is responsible for managing design staff in all aspects of entire design process including market research, design and consistency of product. He/She manages the activities and career development of the Design team. He/She also works closely with peers in Production, Fabric R&D, Merchandising, Tech Design and other corporate support functions to design the seasonal global product.
What you'll do
- Sets overall global direction in the conceptual development of product line.
- Consistently seeks out Global Innovation.
- Fully responsible for managing staff in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, design, sketching, specing and fit.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates staff.
- Responsible for managing and providing creative direction to design staff.
- In conjunction with Product Development management, responsible for visualizing and determining strategic direction of the global business; accountable for process improvement, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect division/company.
- Fully responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets global concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy.
- Oversees selection of fabric and trim.
- Fully responsible for identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement through immediate staff members.
- Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and fit of product(s) during presentation.
- Ensures consistency of look between differing businesses (e.g., adult/kid, accessory/apparel).
Who you are
- In-depth knowledge of design techniques and processes.
- Excellent leadership/management skills.
- Ability to set overall creative tone and lead creative design process.
- Excellent sense of style and color.
- Proven excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to deal with managerial issues (ie career development, performance management).
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field.
- Minimum of twelve years design experience including 5-6 years of managerial experience.
- Ability to use personal computer.
- Frequent travel is required.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs