About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
This position is full-time, on-site in San Francisco.
Gap, inc is looking for Writer who has hands-on experience specifically with writing for User Experiences and microcopy. The Gap UX team is centralized to create, maintain and scale the transactional experiences for 4 brands: Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta. As a centralized team, we collaborate with the brand teams to craft experiences which compliment all unique brand voices on one platform and therefore UX owns a “Cross-Brand” voice and tone which we apply to ecommerce, in-store and omni-channel experiences.
As a Senior UX Writer, you’ll will be writing for customer- and associate-facing features, documentation and customer communications as well as maintaining existing user interface copy. You’ll collaborate with the UX Creative Director to leverage and enhance our copy style guide as needed. You’ll primarily work alongside
UX Designers to create consistent, usable and accessible experiences. In addition, you’ll team up with Product Managers and Developers to ensure a successful product for our business, our associates and our customers.
What you'll do
- You will be the UX Copy lead, owning the copy strategy and execution across all UX initiatives.
- Write copy for all UX projects; translating complicated concepts into blissfully jargon-free copy that makes sense to humans (not computers)
- Understand the goals of our customers and store employees, varying use cases, business requirements, technical constraints, and be able to work effectively within these project parameters
- Employ empathy to everything you touch and every interaction in your day to day
- Work with stakeholders on a daily basis to ensure ideas are expressed appropriately
- Respond to feedback, contributing ideas and collaborating to improve the performance and effectiveness of our content
- Quickly adapt to last-minute asks and changing timelines with flexibility, grace and good humor
- Ensure consistency across our products and documentation
- Contribute to our design system, providing logic and rules for a variety of use cases, as well as helping to evolve our cross-brand voice and tone as needed
- Be self-directed and mature enough to know when to present updates, challenges or blockers the Creative Director in a regular and timely manner
Who you are
- 5+ years’ experience writing for UX experiences (not Marketing or Advertising)
- BA/BS degree in Communications, Linguistics, Library Science, English or related field
- Hands-on experience with a UX Design team focused on retail and efficiency applications (Point of Sale, for instance)
- A deep understanding of UX and how copy and design support each other
- Ability to find concise ways to clearly communicate an idea without resorting to jargon or computer-speak
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously, working in rapid iteration
- Comfortable asking questions and tracking down answers
- Experience with style guides and templates – Design System experience is a plus
- A critical thinker with a keen eye for detail; expert at spotting problem areas and optimizing text
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs