About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
The Design Engineering team is a critical Store Development function that creates and transforms ideas and concepts into solid, buildable, scalable components for each of Gap Inc.’s 5 brands and sub-concepts. The Senior Project Manager in Design Engineering is an industry professional with working knowledge and practical experience with fixture design and manufacturing; hardware and equipment selection and specifications; and raw and finish material detailing and specification. This position works with key vendors, manufacturers, industrial designers and code consultants to develop shop drawing, prototype, and roll-out OFI and VM components; ensures key product knowledge, documentation and decisions remain within Gap Inc.; identifies and initiates opportunities to better balance aesthetics/cost/functionality; identifies, researches, and documents opportunities to consolidate components across Gap Inc.; identifies savings opportunities and trade-offs; The Senior Project Manager of Design Engineering works closely with Global Creative, Store Standards, Visual Operations, Architecture, Procurement, Sourcing, and Construction teams.
What you'll do
- Work closely and collaboratively with Creative team in the development, documentation and roll-out of new fixture concepts and store elements
- Develop vendor/manufacturing technical specifications and shop drawings: prototypical plans, elevations, details, finishes, materials, equipment and specifications
- Responsible for vendor performance and adherence to approved drawings and quality standards
- Partner with strategic Sourcing to research and document supply chain, material availability/suitability, manufacturing methods, and sustainability; develop options and trade-offs to better ensure designs and fabrication requirements are commercially effective
- Partner with Store Standards team to appropriately document sourced items in project templates: material/fixture technical drawings, on-site assembly needs, and build requirements
- Partners with Visual Merchandising teams to manage and document fixture capacities and flexibilities
- Manage and oversee fixture quality program from prototype approval, first-run quality assurance, and on-going durability management
- Identify and research jurisdictional, national, and industry codesequirements relative to manufactured items and appropriately manage and document
- Identify and research Gap Inc. risk management, compliance, and operating standards relative to OFI/VM and inform/create policy and document as required
- Collaborate with Store Standards and Procurement teams to manage enterprise content: specifications, shop drawings, materials, cut-sheets etc.
- Research and propose scope of work division between outsourced material/fixture vendors and on site General Contractors
- Work closely with Sourcing to compile and assess the results and pricing exercises
- Work closely with Procurement/Transportation to determine cost impact of various shipping methods – wholly assembled or knock-down
- Work closely with Construction team and General Contractors to assess and document on-site assembly techniques, installation needs, attachment details, sequencing etc. to enable efficient, high quality project construction
- Work closely with Procurement teams to document, maintenance requirements, upgrades/useful life of equipment, and material safety and data information
- Develops material and finish specifications to inform sourcing contracts and protect Gap Inc. inventory commitments, warranty and safety interests; Ensures quality, durability, suitability, and compliance for key materials and store elements
- Identifies consolidation and leverage opportunities across Gap Inc. kit of parts to reduce costs; prepares presentations and participates in updates and reporting with Brand and Corporate executives; manages year over year cost savings information
- Identifies total-cost-of-ownership for key elements, items, finishes and components and identifies trade-offs and opportunities to balance first cost with on-going investment/maintenance requirements
- Collaborates with Architecture, Procurement and Construction via active participation in shop drawing approval and structured hind-sighting to identify trends/issues, create global program responses, and implement ongoing program improvements
- Prepare and present complex project scope, trade-off and cost stories that cater to appropriate audiences; executives, functional leaders, managers, etc.
- Builds rapport and manages outsourced industry experts, as required, to supplement internal knowledge.
- Develop and implement strategy/timelines for new concepts, prototypes, and on-going design changes
- Develop, implement and maintain OFI/VM technical specifications, shop drawings, cut sheets, catalogues, databases etc.
- Identify opportunities to streamline, simplify, and leverage components and finishes across concepts
- Identify Value Engineering cost reduction opportunities, present, document savings/timing
- Identify Total-Cost-of-Ownership insight to balance first-cost against on-going maintenance costs
- Provide technical support to store design, sourcing, architecture & construction teams
- Track, manage shop drawing feedback, architecture, procurement and construction comments; identify/implement improvement opportunities
Who you are
- Minimum experience: 6+ years industrial engineering, architecture, engineering, fixture manufacturing
- Deep knowledge/experience re: retail manufacturing, sourcing, and the ability to provide constructive feedback
- Self-starter, highly collaborative, able to translate technical information to lay audiences
- Willingness to learn from, and to teach others
- Solid verbal and written skills
- High proficiency in Excel and Microsoft office applications; deep knowledge of CAD, BIM and architectural tools
- Demonstrated initiative with ability to work independently and with teams interchangeably
- Strong quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, architecture, engineering, construction, and/or applicable field; professional degree preferred
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven track record to lead and manage projects to completion
- Demonstrated ability to manage tight deadlines and prioritize workload
- Must have great attention to detail and work well under pressure
- Must be comfortable working in cross-functional teams
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs