We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
This position will oversee the Digital & Print Design team and will be responsible for the seasonal concept work that will tie the season together as well as concepts stacked against a monthly “big idea”. This position will lead the team in creating storyboards and pre-season designs that will bring each idea to life for the brand- demonstrating how this idea would show up in all areas- Site, Email, Media, Social, Catalog, Retail. This will be a dynamic creative leader who understands how to lead a broad and diverse group of designers, fostering a community of ideas and inspiration and developing talent to enable growth within the team and for the brand. This leader will create and foster the aesthetic vision for the brand with a deep understanding the Brand DNA and strategic vision. This position will have significant cross-functional influence, contributing to a cohesive brand evolution across product and marketing. This person will be a visual storyteller with deep expertise in bringing a brand and product story to life through compelling, fresh design. Experience navigating high level executives and strength in persuasive argument is a must. This person will have a deep understanding of Art Direction and Photography, envisioning how an idea will come to life in photography and video.
What you'll do
- Create agency-quality ad campaigns that bring to life the platinum level idea across digital, print and retail vehicles. Create visual storytelling tools to lead the Design Directors to build framework against the brand idea
- Lead the concepting and graphic design of our Digital and Print vehicles taking us to the edge of excellence through a unique, proven vision in which our Brand is represented
- Lead the concepting work associated with a seasonal reference as well as 1 big idea per month. Work with the Digital & Print Design Directors to design the framework against these concepts, enabling the Director, Photography to bring the vision to life with assets planned against those designs
- Lead and plan 1 brand campaign concept per season that would break through the competitive landscape and tell a compelling brand story tied directly to a new, thoughtful product idea. This concept would be brought to life through all the marketing vehicles
- Manages multiple teams of managers/professionals; teams may be involved in diverse activities and have independent financial budgets
- Develops innovative solutions for complex situations in a fast-changing environment; covers a wide range of activities requiring complex judgments
- Oversee, review, and approve all creative for Site, Email, Media, Social, Catalog, DM’s, Print Ads, and misc. other designs. Ensure all designs meet an elevated, premium aesthetic and that brand filters are consistently applied
- Identify top talent and develop high level designers that are multi-faceted and motivated to learn and grow. Create and manage a “design community” that blurs the lines between vehicles
- Partner across a multitude of marketing leads to ensure business needs and marketing brief is understood and delivered upon with all concepts and designs
- Partner very closely with the Photography team to ensure asset plans for (both photography & video) are delivering on the concept vision and the design needs
- Partner with VP Creative to create, maintain, and evolve a consistent brand standard for both Women’s & Girl’s with tools such as a Brand Book and establishing a common language for evaluating work across the channels.
- Provides thoughtful, organized strategic planning and precise execution of deliverables
- Regularly influences leadership team decisions and initiatives
Who you are
- -15+ years of proven experience in leading creative for premium brands and/or innovative companies
- Experience with an athletic apparel brand is a plus
- Comprehensive understanding of theories and practices in multiple related subject areas
- Proven ability in effectively collaborating with multiple teams through thought partnership and excellent communication skills
- Excellent 360 communication skills and ability to accept and deliver feedback in a positive and motivating way
- Proven experience hiring, developing, and growing design talent
- Understanding of how to communicate concept work in a clear, simple, visually engaging way to ensure the audience is clear on the idea and how it would execute
- Deep knowledge of a “Digital first” marketing approach, understanding the needs of paid and social media and how to capture creative that best suits the requirements of success in those channels
- A change maker, a ground breaker, someone who challenges the status quo and can help us to move the brand forward
- A positive, motivating leader that can easily collaborate and work through confrontation in a solution-minded way
Sense of Urgency
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteeth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Browse all jobs